Saturday, December 6, 2008

I've got an internship

I have an internship in İzmir, Turkey and I'm flying there on Monday. It's certainly a relief, as I was supposed to start co-oping (interning) three months ago. I was trying to get an internship in Mumbai (Bombay), but in light of the recent terrorist attacks, it's a mixed blessing I did not (I still would like to go).

It's either a rare coincidence or destiny to get an internship in that city. I've been staying with my folks for the past 2-1/2 months and while I type this I am sitting a few feet away from a ships portrait of my great-great-great-great grandfather's ship, the bark/barque Scio, in İzmir, then called Smyrna. My fourth great grandfather was a New England sea captain in the 1840s and 50s until his untimely death to scurvy, in 1849 he organized a company of miners, 49ers, from Beverly, Massachusetts around Cape Horn to the mouth of the Sacramento River in California for the Gold Rush; the ship returned to Beverly with gold. In 1855 the three-masted 429-ton Scio was built in Bath, Maine with Patterson as master and partner. My family has a ship's portait of the ship from the following year in Symrna Bay (İzmir) done by an Italian living there. Capt. Patterson died of scurvy less than two years later.
I will post a picture of the ship's portrait when I take a picture of it

No comments: