Monday, October 20, 2008

A voyage to Shamrock Island

Saturday I went on a voyage with some friends of the family to the mythical Shamrock Island, home of the famous leprechaun who invented Lucky Charms in 1947. I skippered most of the way and we never made it ...we did set out past 1, oh well.

The wind was blowing in the high teens and lower twenties, the boat was an '03 Beneteau 331. I am used to sailing racing dinghies and crewing on J/Boats, so it was a bit different of an experience for me. It had a roll-furling main and genoa jib. I didn't like how I couldn't see the sails easily from the helm with the bimini in the way. We also could never get the main trim how I would like and the leech of the main sail kept on luffing and we couldn't get to the right line because of the bimini.


Corpus Christi from Sea

Corpus Christi Bay is littered with these well heads/oil rigs/pumps/pipes/whatever these things are. We didn't come very close to any of them, but we were a lot closer than I was comfortable with before I tacked away from these.


They use these well heads as course marks to round for Wednesday night racing, in the dark too!

My view from the helm, I normally like looking up at my sails, so this takes some getting used to:


Shamrock Island was almost directly into the wind from the club, after spending hours of tacking to get out there and getting within 2 nautical miles of it, we decided to head back because it was getting late. As we sailed back with a pleasant quarting sea and then a following sea as the wind eased as the sun sank slowly towards the horizon.


Posted by Picasa

No comments: