Monday, October 13, 2008

A walk through Corpus

I lost my driver's license just before I left Pennsylvania for Texas, I didn't have time to get a replacement in Philadelphia so I planned on getting a new one here. I got dropped off at the DMV at lunchtime and waited in line. As I expected, I needed to take the written and driving test over, but besides photo ID (my passport) I needed proof of my Social Security Number, which I did not have in Texas.

As my ride would not be available for a number of hours, I was told the Social Security Administration was just a mile or two away. Inside I was reprimanded for using a cell phone by the officer on duty, the form asked for parent's SSNs and who knows that off the top of their head! I was called and brought in to someone's cubical where my request was processed. I was told my card would be mailed to me.

It was only just past noon and I had nothing to do until 5:15 when I would go sailing from downtown. I also had no ride. I looked at Google Maps from my phone and walking downtown was a number of miles and fairly straightforward. Plus, it would be a good opportunity for me to see the city. Below are things I passed along the way.


Toni's Quality Shop


Frank's Produce looked like an interesting store, with all those characters hanging it looked like a game you would find at a fair or amusement park but later I realized they are probably piñatas.


If only the LiLi had a straight-edge while she was crafting this sign!





Babies, Guns, and Jesus... That's Texas!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: