Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Walking for Diabetes


Saturday I participated in a fundraiser walk for Diabetes through downtown Corpus Chirsti. I walked about a half a mile until I decided to run the rest of the 4 or 5 miles. I didn't want to run initially because it was a walk, not a run, and I wanted to stay with the group I was with but there were a number of people who ran. After a few minutes of walking at a regular pace my urge to run couldn't be surpressed. I ran track in high school and wearing running shorts, sneakers, an ipod laden with workout music, and a sweat band and having a good course with blocked off roads just triggered something in me. Although I hadn't ran regularly for a few months, I managed to pass everyone I saw... the group of serious runners who had started running at the begining of the walk had probably all finished. I didn't time myself but I think I finished in about a half an hour, I would have picked up the pace but I started to taste the smoked salmon I had from breakfast's lox & begal on the last two miles.


As you can see, the people to the right forgot how to walk:


The walk ended by circling the infield of Whataburger Field. Built in 2005 on the site of cotton warehouses As you can see on either side of the scoreboard, rusting port infrastructure is incorporated into the baseball stadium
Posted by Picasa

No comments: